Friday, February 1, 2013

L’Wren Scott’s Unexpected Fashion Inspiration


MICK JAGGER inadvertently inspired L'Wren Scott to launch her eponymous label. The designer attended the 2005 Golden Globes to support her partner, after he was nominated for (and later that evening won), Best Original Song for Alfie's Song track Old Habits Die Hard. A shortage of wardrobe choices inspired her to create her own dress.

"I'd avoided pretty much every other possible outing, but this, this you kind of have to go to as the supporting other," Scott said. "I'd made [my dress] the day before. I realised I'd been worrying about what everybody else had to wear, but that I'd forgotten about myself. I had a yard and half of beautiful black crêpe and I made a strapless little dress out of that."

Scott decided that, like her, there must a market for women who wanted to wear elegant yet simple alternatives to the "poufy and frou frou" styles that were on offer - and launched her eponymous label in 2006. Now, in a time when red carpet events are becoming increasingly prominent ("They'll put a rope around the corner at a drugstore opening"), the designer offered a few words of wisdom to any starlets worrying about their awards season wardrobes.

"You have to feel comfortable and confident," she told The Telegraph. "Otherwise, it might be the worst night of your life."


No comments:

Post a Comment