Monday, February 11, 2013

Oscar De La Renta: “I Would Love Galliano To Stay”


OSCAR DE LA RENTA is keen for John Galliano to remain working with him after New York Fashion Week has ended. The former Dior creative director had originally intended to complete a temporary residency with the label up until the autumn/winter 2013 show, which takes place tomorrow.

"I would love for him to stay," said de la Renta. "Will he? I cannot tell you that today because we haven't gone that far in really discussing it. The fact is, we work very differently in New York than in Paris. It's night and day. We work at a much faster pace. So the answer is we don't know. We're still exploring."

Galliano has had a sizable influence on the US brand's upcoming collection and de la Renta has been very receptive to his ideas, despite his belief that the twosome are fundamentally very different.

"I think the only similarity between me and John is that we both love what we do," he continued. "I think that we're both learning from each other. I like hearing what he thinks should be changed and improved about each piecethat we are showing in the fall collection. I am not a loner. In fact, my Achilles' heel is being alone. I've said that when I am designing a collection, I wish the Virgin Mary would sit next to me."

The 80-year-old designer says that he didn't hesitate when it was suggested to him that Galliano might spend some time in his studio.

"I think John is one of the most talented men I've ever met," he told the New York Magazine. "I like him very much. I also believe that everyone should have a second chance, especially someone as talented as John. And he has worked so hard on his recovery."

No comments:

Post a Comment