Thursday, May 9, 2013

Ottavio Missoni Dies


OTTAVIO MISSONI has died aged 92. The Missoni co-founder passed away in the early hours of this morning at his home in Italy.

The family announced the news this morning, confirming that he "passed away peacefully". The date and time of his funeral will be announced soon.

Ottavio started his career as an international athlete but during World War II was made a prisoner of war. After the war had finished, he began creating wool tracksuits - which were worn by the Italian team at the 1948 Olympics in London. It was under the Eros statue in London's Piccadilly that he first met his wife Rosita. The pair were married in 1953, the same year that they founded their eponymous label, Missoni

"I've never done what was fashionable," he told WWD in February 2011. "I didn't want to work with preset schemes, and I paint my own way. I ended up in fashion by chance, I would never have imagined it."

No comments:

Post a Comment